I got selected to get out of AZ to go to Kansas for an all expense paid trip to tour the Hills nutrition pet food research center. And I must say, I was impressed. Not because they completely and utterly spoiled me and about 20ish other vets and their techs, but because they actually put alot of effort into researching the foods with out any harm to the animals they use. Those dogs and cats lead such a good life, I wouldn't mind sending my animals there to live the rest of their lives eating, lounging, playing, and very spoiled.
My mini vacation started on Wednesday with a ride to sky harbor. Now I haven't flown anywhere in such a long time, I was super nervous about what to pack, what not to pack, if I packed everything...at one point I thought I packed my remote control for my TV....lol But all was fine, I sailed thru security with no problems and went to Starbucks before our flight. We were flying SouthWest, which I wasn't to sure about, however according to Austin, the plane I flew on...a 737-300 with winglets...which is a good catch, because those are rare. haha, silly pilots...So we get to Kansas...immediately I feel he humidity....not back, but defiantly in the air. Met up with Louise, our Hills representative, picked up a few other passengers and headed to get checked into our hotel. The Springfield Inn was nice, and I had my own room, so I was able to relax alittle, take a few pics. Then it was off to dinner to meet everyone and have a few cocktails. Yum! I finally decided to go to bed after the realization that I had to be up at 4am AZ time because our bus left for Topeka at 7:15 Kansas time...5:15 AZ time....gah it was horrible. Anyways. Went to bed and woke up the next morning to RAIN! I would have enjoyed it alittle more if I didn't have to dress all business casual...in heals walking around in the rain sucks! We were bused to the Hills center where we were greeted by the smell of dog food...lol I was quite surprised even though I shouldn't have been because we were at a pet food research plant....Went inside and saw our presents! We got really sweet LL Bean rolling travel back packs and really nice portfolio business like binders. Like the leather ones professionals have...I love it! I need to figure out what I want to use it for because it is super awesome! The Hills people then proceeded to yap at us about the various foods they did clinical trials on and I tried my best to stay awake! Thankfully they gave us handouts of the slides so I can look back. In the afternoon we had a tour and like I said, I was quite impressed. After our tour, we sat thru some more info sessions about the different prescription diets. Loaded on the bus and was shipped back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Which was AMAZING. We went to a little place in Lawrence called pachamamas (http://www.pachamamas.com/) I think this was my favorite dinner by far. They had the best martini I have ever had called the Berry Stain, it had blueberry-vanilla vodka, açai berry juice and some lemon. Not only was the drinks yummy, but the food was amazing. I had the beef something or other which was exquisite. We sat there for a few hours after I finally herded the drs to the hotel where I left them in the elevator so that I could go to bed. My Friday morning alarm clock was the sound of vicarious thunder ripping thru the sky. It was amazing. I love thunderstorms! After getting ready, I went to breakfast and sat thru some more lectures that I almost fell asleep in. I felt bad, but there is only so much someone can put up with! lol After our talks, we had lunch and got packed up to go to Kansas City for the vacation part of the trip. We stayed at The Raphael (http://www.raphaelkc.com/) hotel...this hotel was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I wish it wasn't just for one night. When I get married, when ever that will be, I want to stay in a hotel like that for my honeymoon. We had a free afternoon after arriving at the hotel, so a group of us went walking around The Plaza in Kansas City. I could have stayed at the hotel and relaxed, but I was on the hint for a bra...lol and a mothers day present. Luckily there was a VS in the plaza and a small card shop where I got the moms day gift so I was set. Relaxed in my room until dinner, which was at a cute little place called Starkers (http://www.starkersrestaurant.com/) They had a very different variety of food, some I have never had before, which was nice because while given the opportunity, I decided to try different things. After dinner, Tara, Sam and I went walking. Which was interesting....we decided to head back to the hotel, mostly because I wanted to enjoy it, but also because the rest of the group was there hanging out. I had a drink and actually called it a night early because by then I was exhausted. The next morning I had breakfast with Janet, Sam, Kathy and Peter before packing up and heading down to wait for my car to the airport to end my wonderfully elegant trip. It is nice to get away and I hopefully will be able to do it again. Oh I should probably mention I had to fly home on a SMALL plane, a CRJ-900....yuck! I will never do that again! There are pics on facebook, so check em out!
Well its 1am, and I have to work in 7 hours, so I better be heading to bed! g'night!!
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
getting spoiled this past weekend....
written by cwgrl at 10:57 PM